February 27, 2010

Steps, Discovery

University... I start Monday. Orientation this week has been a challenge. Power overwhelming. Except the space, that is the cheat code for invulnerability in Starcraft. It is free, yes, because it is up to me to organise my schedule and plan my time. It is up to me. There is guidance and support, but on a level that assumes my autonomy. Maybe it expects it. My education, what I make out of the lectures, tutorial and laboratories, is on my shoulders. I came to university to learn.

"Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence."

Abigail Adams' words lie below the picture of the snowy mountains on my calendar. Words of inspiration.

This month, that is the proverb that I have explored. University seemed a clear opportunity for me to attain this learning. I have been excited prior to orientation, and after the initial information overload that the experience offered, I have had time to accept what it is. So while there is plenty of reading to do, plenty of absorbing of information, plenty of questions to be asked and answers to be discovered, I realise this is happening. I am learning. High school was a stepping stone to this next part of the journey. My hand was held as I walked up the path, and now I have left go of the hand and taking the steps myself. And the hand still guides me, this time pointing ahead. I am grateful. I am getting an education, I have this opportunity to be shown new things about the world, to learn histories and les histoires. Am I ready? Yes. I've been gaining skills, broadening my horizon, readying myself to enter into the world of academia, where people aim to explore the world and discover, at least that is the aim. Not everyone goes to university for this reason. For me, I go, because I want to explore, to grow mentally and discover more about this world I live in. I want friendships to burgeon, love to be. I can hone my writing abilities, but not because they are not perfect at the moment, but because there are techniques and ideas that can sharpen my skills. I have this opportunity here, to discover. I can let it pass me by, but I do not. It is here, and I appreciate it. I am learning.

So while I now walk, one small step in front of the other, towards the true, I know that if I fall, I shall get back up again and continue. I do not need to fear falling, for I am guided and I am whole. My journey is known, it is sacred, and I am not alone in its creation. And I walk.

0 comments:

Post a Comment