February 22, 2010

Twistedspoon

Kadabra carries one, Alakazam's got two. Abra, has none. He doesn't quite need them because if you equip Exp. Share then you can train him, and if he DOES happen to get into a battle with a wild Pokémon, then he can always teleport out of there. Then all you need to do, young trainer, is to get out of the tall grass, or out of the cave, or use an Escape Rope or Fly to your nearest Pokémon Center to revive the other members of your party.

Yes, I'm a fan. Cool wee games there (my bias expressed - there we go, this is no longer objective). Well, when I was younger I had the Gameboy Advance and I played Sapphire and I enjoyed training my little team of Mudkip (and its evolutions) and the other ones, all 'lesser' until Kyogre which I found helped me wipe the Elite Four, especially Drake, because Kyogre knew Ice Beam and against Dragon Pokémon, it was super effective :D

Twistedspoon is an interesting item that was carried by the Psychic Pokémon I mentioned at the start. For some reason, I suspect one of which may be the limited character spacing in the games, it is written as one word. A nice combination, because when I look at it now I am pleasantly reminded of my 'adventures'. You know what, the Pokémon phenomenon was a phenomenon! Back in my home country (Romania), at our school, shortly after the cartoons started, the local store started selling branded croissants which had two stickers, each being one of the 151 original Pokémon. To get the album itself, you had to buy six or seven croissants. After persuading my parents to give me money for that much, I bought the batch and got it! Of course, that meant 14 stickers too! And no duplicates, if I remember correctly. And, to top it off, I got #25 Pikachu, first, or among the first one in the class. I showed my friends, we were childishly excited. Woop! I was on my way to collecting 'em all!

The croissants seem to have been mass produced in retrospect, because I remember them tasting cheap and stale. The chocolate in the middle was too little reward for chewing through all the (unhealthy) pastry, so they went from okay to crap as more were consumed. Someone say Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility. But I had to finish my collection.

Time passed, I finished it while I was still at school. Squirtle was the last one I needed. #7 had been elusive... but I managed to trade my duplicate(s) with someone to finish my collection. After that, I must've felt pretty cool finishing my sticker album! I had all 151 stickers, as well as the stickers at the back of Ash, Misty, Brock, James, Jessie, Prof. Oak, Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny...

After that achievement, which maybe lasted a day, focus shifted to something else. I still like Pokémon though. When I was at my grandmother's one year during this early fad, my friends and I got a notebook and we decided to sit down and design our own Pokémon, each with their own name (my favourite part was giving them names). We made about ten? Artistically speaking, they were not Leonardo Da Vinci's, nor any other painter's displayed at the Louvre. But they were cool, by our standards, or maybe without any standards and just mere observation. I apply the label 'cool' to them now because of my current feelings about the past. Back then though, how would I have felt? Creative :D

I played the GBA games after I arrived in New Zealand. New games are still coming out, as well as remakes of the old ones. I'll have a look at those ones too and if I want to play, I shall. It's exciting, feeling like a kid again.

It is possible to bend spoons. But Twistedspoons belong to Kadabras and Alakazams. To get the latter, you had to trade with a friend. I had no trade buddies, so I never got to Alakazam on the games. But I saw the pictures online and in the cartoons. Holding two spoons, he used psychic abilities like telekinesis during battles. The spoons acted like the focal points of his energy. My point? It is possible to bend spoons. And as the Matrix tells us, "There is no spoon."

0 comments:

Post a Comment